The Tyson Memorial Fund was established in 1981 as a Trust of Friends Fiduciary Corporation. It was founded by Geraldine Tyson, Natalie S. Tyson, Evelyn Tyson, and Mary Tyson Janney, who were longtime members of Abington Monthly Meeting of Friends. The income from this fund is granted to Friends institutions and Meetings within Philadelphia Yearly Meeting which have some special need, with particular emphasis on furthering Friends education, religious interests, or services to the elderly.
The Tyson Memorial Fund will make only one grant within a three-year period to any single institution or organization. Each grant is made for one year only. Grants generally range from $5,000 to $50,000. Exceptions to these rules are rare. The Fund does not make loans, grants to individuals, nor grants that are basically recurring operation budget items. Grants are rarely made for the whole project cost. The distribution committee has a strong preference that project costs be shared, and looks for evidence of support from a broad constituency.
Application is made using the Quaker Grant Makers Common Form. The grant request may include, but is not required to include, additional narrative and supporting materials over and above what is requested on the Common Form including the Financial Questionnaire. In addition to the Common Form requirements, the following information must accompany each application:
Six copies of the application and accompanying materials must be received by April 1st for spring-summer consideration or by October 1st for fall-winter consideration. Applicants will hear of decisions on or after July 1st and January 1st following the application dates indicated. Reports on Tyson Memorial Fund grants will be expected within one year of application date unless otherwise stated by the Tyson Distribution Committee. Address applications to Robert M. Taylor, Clerk of the Tyson Memorial Fund, and mail to:
Tyson Memorial Fund
Attention: Mimi Blackwell
Friends Fiduciary Corporation
1700 Market Street, Suite 1535
Philadelphia, PA 19103